T-BORG is a highly modular, physics-based computational framework for interactive simulation originally developed by Sandia National Laboratories (SNL) Intelligent Systems and Robotics Center (ISRC) and to which ORION has contributed over the years with modules, interfaces to other tools, and T-BORG-based applications. The Umbra core and modules are written in C++; Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML) is used for graphics representations; and the Tcl/Tk script language is used to invoke the different T-BORG facilities, controls, and modules. Because T-BORG uses a modular architecture, incorporation of code modules is relatively simple; therefore, existing libraries of physics code can potentially be incorporated into T-BORG as additional modules. Engineers and physicists enjoy rapid spin-up and productivity with T-BORG. T-BORG offers valuable features, such as:
- A highly modular simulation environment that facilitates rapid model building
- A High Level Architecture (HLA) interface library that utilizes the DMSO RTI NG1.3 software library to federate T-BORG-based models into HLA environments
- An analysis of both mobile and manipulator robot concepts as well as the interaction for robotics and other automated systems
- Compatibility with digital terrain databases and other environmental models
- A large module library with modules for environments, sensors, communication, vehicle mobility, behavior, and automated planning
- The ability to analyze communication stability, novel mobility concepts, mobile manipulation concepts, multi-sensor integration, etc.
- Dynamic instantiation and parameterization, allowing systems to automatically adapt
ORION’s work using T-BORG has resulted in models of manipulators, adaptive platform cranes for moving cargo between ships in rough seas, unmanned ground vehicles (UGVs), unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), military operations in urban terrain (MOUT), network centric battlespace, network-guided missiles, cognitive systems, and defense demilitarization activities too hazardous for humans.
ORION offers a complete range of T-BORG-based products for academic and commercial customers such as training, manuals, literature, modules, and applications. T-BORG is available for the MS Windows, Mac OS, and Linux operating systems.